Questions to Ponder on the Nature of Portraiture…..
- What is meant by the “Faciality” of Western culture? Do you agree with this characterization? Why or why not?
- In what way does a portrait embody or model virtue? When does this function of portraiture wane?
- In what way do portraiture and biography form a double helix? And aren’t you impressed that I know what a double helix is?!
- What effect did the booming business of psychology have on portraiture?
- What is the danger of reading a man’s character from his portrait? Is physiognomy destiny? When does the skill of the artist tip the balance in the appreciation of portraiture?
- The portrait in not only about the body and face, but also about the mind and character of the subject. Discuss!
- What is the duality of likeness and type?
- What would Descartes say about all this? Wherein lies identity? It’s the old mind-body problem again!
- What is caricature and when does it originate?
- What was the “New Objectivity” project? What is the impact of photography on the art of portraiture?