Questions on Muessig’s “Performance of the Passion”
- This article refines the distinctions that define ritual, theater, and liturgy. How does the Absent Other function in the performances of Elizabeth of Spalbeek, Margarita of Cortona, and Gertrude van der Oosten?
- Discuss the role of the witness in the above performances.
- How did Margarita of Cortona use visual art?
- How does the collective creativity participate in the construction of the ritual? Is this always a necessary ingredient in rituals?
- What was distinctive about the preaching strategy of Ladislaus on Good Friday in 1505? Isn’t the Middle Ages fundamentally theatrical in nature?!
- How did this article intersect with last week’s readings?