Questions on “The Tactile and the Visionary”
- What role does sculpture play in forming imaginative perception? In other words does art inspire visions?
- Under what circumstances do we find sculpture animated in the medieval period?
- In what way are the Gero Crucifix and the crucifixi dolorosi “betwixt and between?” How are works of this ilk “embodied templates for imaginative projection?” And are you happy with that term?!
- Discuss the role of Nicodemus as the “arch creator.”
- Does Jung’s discussion of the role of touch in the Silos reliefs resonate with Bynum’s ideas about Christian materiality?