Questions on “Devotional Images and Imaginative Devotions”
- What role does art play in miraculous visions according to Ringbom? Do you agree?
- Does the primacy of the text overshadow the significance of the visual tradition?
- Which medieval thinker/writer after Augustine advanced the “cause of art history” the most in your opinion?
- What was the fate of imageless devotion?
- Should Sts. Augustine and Gregory be the patron saints of art history? Discuss! How did St. Bernard conceive of corporeal and spiritual vision?