1. Before we start, please think for a second about the way we as a society perceive those with strong traits from both genders. How might we expect this to compare to Rome’s views on the subject?
2. Why do you think that emperors depicted themselves with traits of goddesses, some more overt than others? Are you surprised that they did not find similar gods so that they could stick with their own gender?
3. For what purpose does Varner think emperors and their wives were depicted in a similar fashion? Do you think there might be other purposes?
4. Can you think of any Greek examples of this gender-bending? How do you think Greek audiences might respond to this type of art?
5. How do you feel about this article as a whole? What aspects do you like, and what aspects do you wish were different?