1. Do you think these portrait statues represented actual people who were honored, or did they portray the ‘perfect role model’ that everyone was expected to follow?
2. “Women who are perceived as having gained access to power are seen as having failed to conform to the accepted social construct for their gender in their given society.” Do you agree? (pg 209)
3. In your opinion, does body language in Roman portrait statues of women, suggest certain contradictions in the subject matter? Why?
4. Do you think these portrait statues should be treated as valuable evidence for Roman social history?
5. What is the significance of stressing width in Roman male portrait statues?
6. What is the importance of the “disguised barrier gestures”?