1. What was wrong with the “femme-enfant” paradigm?
2. In what role were women cast in the Surrealist movement?
3. What is the subtext of Man Ray’s “Le Violin de Ingres?”
4. Do you feel that Lee Miller’s contribution to art history is given its due? Why or why not?
5. Calling Dr. Freud: Dorothea Tanning’s work, discuss!
6. The pain of one’s physical condition seems to be a leitmotif in the work of Surrealist women’s art. Do you agree, and if so, why do you think this surfaces at this point in history?
7. How many Surrealist wives did Max Ernst have???? Leonara Carrington often featured white horses in her work. What do you think that symbolized for her?
8. Frida Kahlo is often categorized as a Surrealist, though her works in many ways defy this label. In what ways do you feel she conforms to this group of painters?
9. In what ways did Surrealism serve women artists? In what ways did it fail them?