Please do not feel compelled to answer all of these questions. They are meant to stimulate your own comments.
1. What were some of the Victorian views of women that impeded “painterly progress?”
2. What was the “Woman Question?”
3. How do we explain the disconnect that existed between the romantic, sentimental paintings of the period that simultaneously witnessed such relatively monumental progress in the status of women?
4. Did the foundation of societies for female artists alter the status achieved by these artists? Why or why not?
5. Were the ills of society reflected in the visual arts? For example, is there evidence of the exploitation of servants, of governesses, etc. in art?
6. Prostitution was described as the obverse side of the marriage coin. Discuss! Why did so many Pre-Raphaelites choose to depict women of fallen virtue?
7. How does the British love of animals come into play in the story of Rosa Bonheur? Does her portrayal of animals differ from that of her contemporaries?
8. How do the issues of suffrage and anti-vivisection intersect in the nineteenth century?
9. What was the impact of Black Beauty? Do you remember its effect on you?
10. Did women treat travel to other countries with the same degree of alterity and colonialism as their male counterparts? How did the Society of Female Artists encourage these painters?