As my 312 students know, I love this article. I think it introduces important issues about monasticism, personal property, female mysticism, and architectural space and how it structures worship. Natalie will have much more to say on this subject, but here are my 2 cents.
1. Does the Janus-like characterization of the cloister as both prison and paradisus seem odd to you?
2. What is the function of the emporium in a monastic church?
3. How did the spiritual practices of females help blur the line between public and private worship?
4. “Architecture played a role in enforcing women’s access to the altar and in shaping their experience of the Mass.” Discuss.
5. How was the Andachtsbild incorporated into the female worship service?